Strong's Concordance, Greek Dictionary
Heritage, inheritance, lot, part, a die (for drawing chances)
Greek: κλῆρος, klēros (G2819)
11 King James Bible Verses
WORDS OF JESUS IN RED
Here are heritage, inheritance, lot, part and related words in the Bible. What does the source Greek word κλῆρος mean and how is it used in the Bible? Below are the English definition details. Also below are examples within Bible verses highlighted in yellow (follow this link to go there). Tap or hover on blue, underlined words to see more original scripture and meanings. Information sourced from Strong's Concordance.
Strong's Number: G2819
Greek Base Word: κλῆρος
Usage: Heritage, inheritance, lot, part
Definition: A die (for drawing chances); by implication, a portion (as if so secured); by extension, an acquisition (especially a patrimony, figuratively).
- An object used in casting or drawing lots, which was either a pebble, or a potsherd, or a bit of wood.
- The lots of several persons concerned, inscribed with their names, were thrown together into a vase, which was then shaken, and he whose lot fell out first upon the ground was the one chosen.
- What is obtained by lot, allotted portion.
- A portion of the ministry common to the apostles.
- Used of the part which one will have in eternal salvation.
- Of salvation itself.
- The eternal salvation which God has assigned to the saints.
- Of persons.
- Those whose care and oversight has been assigned to one [allotted charge], used of Christian churches, the administration of which falls to the lot of presbyters.
Derived terms: Probably from G2806 (through the idea of using bits of wood, etc., for the purpose.
- Biblical International Phonetic Alphabet: ˈkle.ros
- Modern International Phonetic Alphabet: ˈkle̞.rows
- Transliteration: klēros
- Biblical Pronunciation: KLAY-rose
- Modern Pronunciation: KLAY-rose
Most Searched Bible Verse with κλῆρος (G2819)
4,400 average monthly searches for 'Jesus, Luke 23:34' on Google.
How to Use this Concordance Get the Real Meaning Behind Underlined Scripture
Bible Verses with κλῆρος (G2819)
1 to 11 of 11 Verses
“And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.”
— Matthew 27:35
“And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take.”
— Mark 15:24
“Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.”
— Jesus, Luke 23:34
“They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it, whose it shall be: that the scripture might be fulfilled, which saith, They parted my raiment among them, and for my vesture they did cast lots. These things therefore the soldiers did.”
— John 19:24
“For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.”
— Acts 1:17
“That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.”
— Acts 1:25
“And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.”
— Acts 1:26
“Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.”
— Acts 8:21
“To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.”
— Acts 26:18
“Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:”
— Colossians 1:12
“Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.”
— 1 Peter 5:3
(End 1 to 11 of 11 Verses)
The King James Bible (1611) and Strong's Concordance (1890) with Hebrew and Greek dictionaries are sourced from the BibleForgeDB database (https://github.com/bibleforge) within the BibleForge project (http://bibleforge.com). Popularity rankings are based on search data from the Google AdWords Keyword Planner tool.